HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR MACHINE
A dirty machine means no matter how good the coffee, or how skilled the barista, your coffee will taste gritty
Follow these instructions for a clean and machine.
BACKWASHING THE GROUP-HEADS
- Machine must be at temperature for this procedure.
- Using a Porter-filter handle, remove the filter basket and replace with the Blind filter.
- Place half a teaspoon of Puly Caff cleaning detergent into the blind filter.
- Insert the handle into the group head and engage for 10-15 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
- Remove the handle and rinse out the blind filter.
- Re-insert the handle and engage for 25-30 seconds. Repeat 3-4 times.
This is important to ensure that the group heads are rinsed out thoroughly.
This procedure allows time for the hot water to dissolve the detergent, and while circulating in the group head the coffee residue is stripped and flushed. This cycle is best done at the end of every day.
CLEANING OF PORTER-FILTER HANDLES
- Remove the filter baskets from the handles.
- Place handles in an upright position with the filter baskets in a plastic container.
- Add approximately 1-teaspoon of Puly Caff cleaning detergent per handle into the container.
- Pour boiling water over the handles to cover the chromed parts and let stand for at least 1-hour or preferably overnight.
- Rinse under boiling water before reassembling for use.
This procedure also allows time for the detergent to take action and remove unwanted coffee residue from the porta-filter handle and filter baskets. No scrubbing is necessary.
THE STEAM WAND
- Always purge the steam wand before and after use.
- Clean the steam wand after frothing with a clean cloth to eliminate the build-up of milk.
- This is a point of hygiene as a dirty steam wand is inviting unwanted bacteria.
- Never soak the steam wand in any liquid or solution as this could cause damage to the machine resulting unnecessary repair bill.
FURTHER CLEANING PROTOCOLS
- Keep the outer casing and area around the machine clean. This will minimise the risk of infestation of unwanted pests and bacteria.
- Remove the drip tray to be cleaned on a daily basis.
OTHER HELPFUL TIPS
Extraction time of espresso shot – 25 to 30 seconds.
Optimum temperature of milk – 68 to 72C˚.
Do not froth more milk than what is required.
Depending on your average usage, all espresso machines should be serviced once to twice a year by a qualified technician.